This project setup an Intel Edison board which reads temperature data and sends those data to Artik cloud. The project consists of three steps, i.e. setting up Edison board to read temperature values and create temperature device type and temperate device in Artik cloud. The last step is sending data to Artik cloud and you can monitor the temperature changes from the Artik dashboard.
To familiar yourself with Edison board and the XDK IoT Edition, please refer to the following resources:
To setup an Edison temperature monitoring app, you can follow these two resources:
Go to Developer Dashboard to create a device type.
- Sign in to Developer Dashboard
- Click the "+ Create Device Type"
- Name the device type "Edison Temperature Sensor" and give it an unique name "my.device.edison.temperature"
- Click "Create Device Type" to create the device type
Now create a new Manifest for the new device type.
- Click "Edison Temperature Sensor" in the left column
- Click "Manifest" and then "+ New Manifest"
- Enter currentTemp as the Field Name and "Double" as Data Type
- Click "Save" and then "Next: Actions"
- Leave Actions as default and click "Save New Manifest"
Go to MY ARTIK Cloud to create a new Edison Temperature Sensor device.
Sign in to MY ARTIK Cloud
Click to connect a new device. Select the "Edison Temperature Sensor" device type
Click "Connect Device..."
Click the Settings icon of the newly created device. In the pop-up, click "GENERATE DEVICE TOKEN…".
Copy the device ID and device token on this screen. You will use these in the code.
Make the appropriate changes to the following code in
main.js on line 21 and 22:
var device_id = "your_device_id"; var device_token = "your_device_token";
Upload and run the program from Intel XDK IoT Edition.
Sign in to My ARTIK Cloud.
Click Edison Temperature Sensor. Then click "+/- CHARTS" and check the CurrentTemp field to visualize a chart.
This is a video about the temperature chart visualization.