ROV 10 is a project inspired by the OpenROV project and demonstrates how to use Windows 10 IOT Core in a remote controlled Robot. Even the SW is demonstrated in an ROV, it can be used in almost every robot that require live video.
The live Video Feed is heavily depending on the graphics performance of the used Hardware. So due to the lag of HW graphics acceleration a Raspberry PI is not a good choice as the robot platform. Best choice would be a Minowboard.max (Intel baytrail based HW) or a Dragonboard.
Also the SW is optimized on low latency and real time communication. The video format is a kind of MJPG format that is framed into a special container protocol that carries sensor data for each video frame).
The SW contains 2 UWP Applications for Windows 10. The controller Side can run on Windows 10 Mobile, Desktop or even on another Windows 10 IOT core based Hardware.
The Hardware is based on the following components:
- Minnowboard.max or Dragonboard 410c.
- If using the Dragonboard make sure to add level shifter to the GPIOs and I2C pins)
- BNO055 based absolute orientation Sensor (like adafruit http://www.adafruit.com/products/2472)
- Servo Controller based on PCA9685 (like adafruit http://www.adafruit.com/product/815)
- AD converter based on ADS1115 (like adafruit http://www.adafruit.com/products/1083)
- All these sensors are connected through the I2C bus.
- USB webcam (one that can be dismantled)
- USB Lan adapter (only required if using the dragonboard)
- Powerline Modem hack as used in the OpenROV Project (2pcs for Robot and Controller, see here)
For the Engines:
- 4 Slim Afro 20 Amps BLC to be flashed with special adapted Software (here)
- 4 Brushless engines (e.g Bluerobotics for best performance)
- Propeller (60mm diameter, left and right turn)
- alternatively you can use specialized thruster from e.g. Bluerobotics. Those can be used with afro blc’s as well. (http://docs.bluerobotics.com/besc/)
- For the body
- 4’ ROV enclosure + plugs and connectors (refer to pictures) (this version is using the Bluerobotics enclosures https://www.bluerobotics.com/store/watertight-enclosures/wte4-asm-r1/)
- All Components according to the .dxf files and 3d objects.
For the controller:
- Any Windows 10 Tablet or laptop
- Xbox Controller (optional but recommended)
Things to do:
The Project is still ongoing and there are still lots of things to do. Here is a list of issues I'm working on right now:
- Better Video transmission
- electronics PCB that makes it easier to assemble the electronics
- Video Recording function
- Remote configuration of the robot App
- Additional depth sensor
- Camera gimbal
You can see the 3 adafruit Sensor Modules