So, while we're debugging the UART header, I thought I may as well get some results from the Pi using the FTDI cable. With the help of a USB hub, a WiFi dongle and some masking tape, I set the Pre-GO up on the window. I figured if I was going to get any kind of signal anywhere in the office, this would be it.
I SSH'ed in and ran gpsmon. This is a great tool related to GPSD that spits out human-readable GPS data in real time. It looks something like this:
Yep, my Pi kind of knows where it is... within 10 metres, that is. Not good enough for a Precise Point Positioning (PPP) GPS module. I have to get it outside to get accurate geolocation.
Good news! The UART problem was resolved with a single line:
I appended this line to /boot/config.txt and said goodbye to the FTDI converter. With the bulky USB cable and hub gone I decided to get my gear ready for test.
A circuit board with a delicate makeshift UART connection is not easily transported. Not to mention the need for a power cord makes taking my rig on the road a bit of a challenge. No problem. Tape, scissors, and a shipping package, combined with a little time gives you this: