Eligibility criteria: Contestants must (a) be at least 16 years of age, (b) be a resident of a country other than Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria, (c) not be involved in the execution or administration of the Contest, and (d) not be an immediate family member or a household member of a Hackster employee.
To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet the following content and technical requirements:
- Contestants must create a free Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Contestants must create an Amazon developer account to build a working submission.
- Contestant must submit an an Amazon Alexa skill via the Hackster.io project template
- Contestant must submit their project on this contest page by filling out the form "Submit my final entry"
- All ideas must be submitted in the English language.
- Each entry must be the contestants’ own original work; and
- Entries cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- Contestants must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- Entries may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
Additional requirements if submitting a full project:
- Each project must be fully documented on Hackster per the “project” template.
- Each final project must be submitted as within the projects template.
- Each final project must consist of the following materials:
- CAD if any
Amazon will judge all entries and select winners based on the following criteria:
- Creativity (15 points)
- Use of Voice User Interface (VUI) best practices (15 points)
- Story/Instruction – Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video (15 Points)
- Published Skill (20 Points) (read about skill submission criteria)
- Project Documentation including VUI diagram (10 Points)
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments (10 Points)
- Great photographs, videos and screenshots (10 Points)
- Bonus: Use AWS Lambda to build your project, land extra points (5 points)
- For each bimonthly contest, the top ten entries will receive prizes as follows:
- If the winning contestant has a US mailing address:
- First prize (1): Amazon Echo, Echo Dot and Amazon Tap
- Second prize (3): Amazon Echo
- Third prize (6): Amazon Tap
- If the winning contestant has a mailing address outside of the US:
- First prize (1): Gift card worth $310 (type of gift card to be mutually agreed by Hackster and Amazon)
- Second prize (3): Gift card worth $180 (type of gift card to be mutually agreed by Hackster and Amazon)
- Third prize (6): Gift card worth $130 (type of gift card to be mutually agreed by Hackster and Amazon)
- Additionally, for each bimonthly contest the first 20 contestants to complete an eligible contest submission and have the skill published (skill must be published between the contest start and end dates) will receive a $100 gift card (type of gift card to be mutually agreed by Hackster and Amazon).
- Amazon will also fund all gift cards distributed to winning contestants. Hackster will be responsible for all prize fulfillment to contest participants.
- If the winning contestant has a US mailing address:
How to enter
Here's how to Participate in the Contest:
- Create a free Hackster.io account
- Register to participate in the contest
- Create an amazon developer account
- Submit your project on this contest page
Project Submissions Should Include:
- Story and quality images
- Clear Project Documentation including VUI diagram
- BOM (Materials Used)
- Source code
- CAD files if relevant
- All project submissions must include a link to your published Amazon Alexa Skill
Brought to you by Hackster, a skill-based contest. The object of this contest is to generate projects Amazon Alexa Skills
For purposes of this Contest, each solution and idea you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry”. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
CAN I ENTER?
your entry must be your own original work; and your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that is: sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic; promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda; is obscene or offensive; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies; communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law. We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
Important note about Copyright: Your entire entry must only include material (including hardware, source code – both open source and third party sourced, user interface, music, video or images) that you own or that you have permission from the copyright/trademark owner to use. Your team’s entry may not include copyrighted materials (such as source code, user interface, background music, images or video) unless you own or have permission to use the materials. Ownership is not defined as purchasing a CD at a music store for replay, if playing a copyrighted recording on your guitar or repurposing an application’s user interface – your entry will be disqualified if copyrighted materials, including but not limited to these examples, are a part of your entry without appropriate licensing or permissions. If you do use permissible copyrighted materials, you must include the permissions information by citing the artist/creator and license information as per the respective Challenge Rules. Note that even material released under sites such as Creative Commons, common open source code licenses, and other similar licensing may need permission or acknowledgement as per the specific license.
Note: your team’s entry will be disqualified if permissions information is not included as per the requirements in the specific Challenge Rules.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you are: granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed); agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above; understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry; understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry.
You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law; understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules. Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry. If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
Limit one (1) prize per person or team. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below. If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you complete a tax form, you will be issued an IRS Form 1099 the following January, for the actual value of the prize. You are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of accepting a prize. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up. If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest: You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and you may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and if you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state, and local taxes related to accepting the prize; and if you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree to: abide by these Official Rules; and release and hold harmless Hackster, Imagination Technologies, Amazon Digital Services LLC and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and that Hackster’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and that, by accepting a prize, Hackster may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of California, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest. If you attempt or we have strong reason to believe that you have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
A full list of winners will be published on this page by June 29, 2016 at 12:59 PM PT