- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
- By clicking on the Official Rules check box on the entry page, Contestant signifies Contestant’s acceptance of these Official Rules in their entirety. Receipt of any prize offered in this Competition is dependent upon Contestant’s compliance in full with these Official Rules.
- Contestant agrees that Administrator’s decisions as to the determination of winners are final and binding.
- Co-organizers seek no promises or favoritism for itself or any of its related companies or affiliates in exchange for the opportunity to participate in the Competition. By entering the Competition, Contestant represents, warrants, and agrees that (i) Contestant’s participation in the Competition – including acceptance of any prize – will not violate any law, regulation, policy or rule in Contestant’s country, state, province, or local municipal location; and (ii) any potential prize is not in exchange for an agreement to influence a recent, pending or anticipated act or decision that may result in Co-organizers obtaining or retaining business or a business advantage.
- To the extent permitted under applicable law, Contestant agrees that Co-organizers may cancel, suspend and/or modify the Competition, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Competition.
- Contestant agrees that Co-organizers may disqualify any Contestant it finds to be tampering with the operation of the Competition or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any Contestant to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of the law, and Co-organizers reserves all rights to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such Contestant to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Individuals or teams need to decide on the scope of the project based on the following themes/topics:
- Community development, education, environment protection, health & fitness, transportation, energy and other areas of sustainable development. Contestant must complete in English an online questionnaire about Contestant’s product idea, its overall design and technical requirements, Contestant’s business concept, and the category in which it best fits. Submit the completed online questionnaire to enter your “Project Submission.” Contestants are required to design, produce and demonstrate a functional prototype during the competition. The prototype should be based on open-source software and hardware.
- The Organization Committee will provide recommendation on Competition technical platform and reference scheme for equipment and tools, and the contestants may choose on their own technical platforms and use applicable tools and equipment.
- Contestant must create (in English only) and upload a short pitch video (a maximum of three (3) minutes in length) which complements the Contestant’s Product/Project Statement and further describes the product idea, its intended customer, how it works, and what makes it unique, and the team members introduction. This is Contestant’s “Product/Project Video.”
- Contestant must upload the Product Video in accordance with the website’s instructions.
- Contestant must provide the URL link to its video as instructed.
- Collectively, a Product Statement and a corresponding Product Video constitute the “Project Submission.”
- Contestant may modify or edit his, her, or its Project Submission until the last day of the Project Submission Phase.
- The Project Submission must conform to the guidelines and content restrictions, set forth below in Section 10. Failure to conform constitutes grounds for disqualification.
- LIMIT: Contestant may only submit one (1) Project Submission. A Team may only submit one (1) Project Submission.
- Contestants should not assume any right of confidentiality in any data or information divulged related to his, her, or its Projects Submissions.
- Contestant's Project Submission will be judged by a panel of qualified judges in accordance with objective criteria and weighting as set forth below.
- During the Judging – US Regional Selection Contest phase, the judging panel will select the 10 highest-scoring Project Submissions from all qualified entries.
- In the event of a tie that will determine Finalist status for US Phase, the Contestant whose Project Submission received the higher score for the Innovation and Creativity criterion will be deemed the Semi-Finalist.
- Contestants should not assume any right of confidentiality in any data or information divulged related to his, her, or its Semi-Finalist Submissions.
- Semi Finalist Phase
- Co-organizers will notify up to 10 Contestants who are selected as Semi-Finalists on or around early June, 2019, by email.
- Travel: travel for up to five (5) Individuals (consisting of a Contestant having entered alone, or a Team Leader and up to Five (5) Members of a Team to Mainland China to participate in the Finalist Phase.
- Trip packages includes
- Coach-class round-trip air transportation from a major airport near each traveler’s home (determined by Co-organizers in its sole discretion) to mainland, China on or about 22 July 2019, and a return flight on or about 27 July 2019;
- Up to seven (7) nights’ accommodations (up to Three standard rooms; each double occupancy); daily meals;
- Attendance at a Final Awards Ceremony (all details determined by Co-organizers); and
- Semi Finalists must travel on dates specified by Co-organizers or the prize will be forfeited. Travel should be arranged immediately upon confirmation of Finalist status, but no later than 7 July 2019.
- Travel and accommodations are subject to availability. Travel must be round trip. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules, and those set forth by the Co-organizers’ airline carrier of choice as detailed in the passenger ticket contract. All expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated in the package description above, including but not limited to, ground transportation, most meals, incidentals, gratuities, passenger tariffs or duties, airline and airport fees, surcharges, service charges or facility charges, personal charges, security fees, taxes and all other expenses are the responsibility solely of each Finalist.
- Each Finalist must have a valid passport and any other documents necessary for international travel to Mainland China. Travel restrictions, conditions and limitations may apply.
- Co-organizers will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. Approximate retail value of the trip (assuming 5 Members traveling): $3,000 per person USD. Actual value will vary based on airfare fluctuations and distance between departure and destination as well as the number of Individuals who travel. Finalists will not receive difference between actual and approximate retail value.
- Contestants are required to make continuous and on-going improvement throughout the Competition and the final works should demonstrate creativity.
- Contestant (and each Member thereof if Contestant is a Team) must within seven
- days of the date of the email notice:
- Submit a copy of an official government-issued identification for proof of identity, Residency, and age;
- Agree, sign, and submit documents confirming
- Ownership of the rights to the technology and business ideas contained in the Project Submission;
- Acceptance of the Finalist prize;
- Agree to keep status as a Finalist confidential until Co-organizers publicly announce; and
- Release of the Co-organizers, Administrator, and the Released
- Agree, sign, and submit a publicity release;
- Complete and submit to Administrator an IRS form W-9 (applicable to US residents) or an IRS form W8-BEN (applicable to non-US residents);
- Agree to provide Co-organizers with the source file of the all videos created and presented for purposes of this Competition;
- Agree to participate actively and in good faith in the Finalist Phase;
- Certify that acceptance of any prize awarded in the Competition
- Will not violate any third-party rights or obligations, including without limitation an employer’s policies or procedures; and
- Is not in exchange for an agreement to influence a recent, pending or anticipated act or decision that may result in Co-organizers obtaining or retaining business or a business advantage;
- Grant to Organizers and Co-Organizers, to the extent permitted under applicable law, a non- exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, publicly perform, transmit via the internet, and publicly display Contestant’s Product Video, Finalist Content, in whole or in part, solely for the purpose of administering this Promotion and in connection with marketing through December 31, 2019;
- Confirm availability to travel in or to the Mainland China, must have up to date official travel documents (including passport and/or travel visa) on or before Finalist Phase (as described in greater detail in subsection 7(b)(ii) to participate in Finalist Phase during the respective time frames set forth in Section 5;
- Represent and warrant that Contestant and each Member of Contestant’s Team, if applicable, shall not take any action or make any statement to disparage or adversely affect the name, reputation or goodwill of the Co-organizers, Administrator, or any of the Released Parties; and
- Acknowledge the timing and requirements for travel associated with the Finalist Prize set forth in Section 7.
- Finalist must produce Finalist Content, which includes:
- A Functional Prototype;
- Finalists will be required to provide all Finalist Content to Co-organizers before the Finals Judging on 25 July 2019.
- Finalists will demo Prototype functions and idea description and present it at judging session on 25 July 2019.
- Grand Prize: Trip to the Final Competition ($4,000 value) (10 are available)
- Coral Dev Board ($149 value) (5 are available)
- Coral USB Accelerator ($74 value) (10 are available)
- Google AIY Voice Kit ($25 value) (20 are available)
Registration of an Individual – Visit https://www.hackster.io/contests/2019chinausyoungmakercompetition and provide the following information upon request to verify eligibility:
- Jurisdiction of residence;
- First and last name;
- A valid, functioning email address; and
- A telephone or mobile phone number.
Express consent – Contestant must expressly agree to
- The Official Rules;
- Promotional Release；and
- Contestant Statement
Use of Teams – Contestants may enter as a Team
- A Team may have no more than five (5) Members, including the Team Leader. On a Team, the Team Leader is the contact and representative for the Team. All Members must
- meet the eligibility requirements set forth in Section 3;
- be identified by the Team Leader at the time of Team Leader’s registration; and
- provide Profile Information pursuant to subsection 6(a) and express consent pursuant to subsection 6(b) to confirm Member status.
- A Member’s failure to provide Profile Information and provide express consent in accordance with this subsection 6(c)(i)(c) is grounds for disqualification of that Member.
- Team Leader may substitute one or more Members on a Team till the last day of Project and Video Submission for US Regional Selection Contest.
- The Team Leader must notify Members that in order to participate in the Competition, they must visit https://www.hackster.io/contests/2019chinausyoungmakercompetition to provide their Profile Information and confirm their express consent to the items in subsection 6(b) by the last day of the Project and Video Submission phase, or the Members will be disqualified and their data deleted.
- Members must be specified and listed by Team Leader at Team Leader’s registration, otherwise the Members are not eligible for Final Competition in Beijing, China.
- Contestant should choose US Regional Competition or China Regional Competition based on Contestant (for Individual) or Team Leader (For Team)'s location.
March 21, 2019 at 9:00 AM PT
May 26, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
June 3, 2019
Contest winners will be announced on June 3, 2019. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
- Residency – Individuals must have legal residence in The United States of America (including only the 50 states and D.C.).
- Age – Individuals must be between the ages of 18 and 40 years old in his or her jurisdiction of residence.
- Individuals must NOT be (i) an employee of Ministry of Education of People’s Republic of China, Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange，Tsinghua University, Beijing Gehua Cultural Development Group, Hackster，Google Information Technology (China) Company Limited, China University Science and Technology Park Alliance, or any corporate parent or subsidiary company of any of the foregoing corporate entities; (ii) a member of the Immediate Family of an employee of any of the foregoing corporate entities in this subsection.
- Any submission for which the Prototype or Product have been commercialized (i.e., the Prototype or Product has completed the phase of concept planning and framework designing, and entered into the phase of precise development on the basis of marketable operation) or has received any investable funding in the form of grants, prizes, debts, or equity funding, including but not limited to funding from venture capitalists, angel investors, or private funding sources, is excluded from participating in this Competition.
- Employer Permission/Acknowledgement – Individuals must be able to participate in the Competition without violation of any third-party rights or obligations, including without limitation an employer’s policies or procedures. To the extent an Individual’s participation is within the scope of his or her employment as an employee, contractor, or agent, the Individual must have notified his or her employer or principal for whom that Individual is working at the time of entry of participation in the Competition, including without limitation the potential receipt of a prize. For the avoidance of doubt, Individuals who are students, instructors, or professors at a university, or otherwise employed by a university must meet the requirements of this subsection.
- Visa – Individuals must possess a valid passport for travel outside the United States with a visa valid for travel to Mainland China during the Finalist Phase. (If applicable).
- Language – Individuals must fluently speak, read, write, and understand English.
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria
US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this contest.
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster employee.
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.